Saturday, April 16, 2011

Easter Cookies

I made these cookies with my new Vanilla Cookie Recipe (below). This recipe differs from my usual Buttery Sugar Cookie Recipe as it is a little firmer and uses the seeds from real vanilla pods. This is now my favourite cookie recipe!


Vanilla Cookies
Makes 25 medium-sized cookies

200g unsalted soft butter
200g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
400g plain flour
The seeds from one vanilla pod

In the mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla seeds till well mixed and just creamy in texture. Do not overwork or cookies will spread during baking.

Beat in the egg till well combined. 
Add the  flour and mix on low speed until a dough forms. Cover with cling and place in fridge for at least 1 hour.

Place dough on floured surface and knead briefly.
Roll out to 5mm thick.
Cut out your shapes, then, using a palette knife, lay them on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Chill again for about 30 mins.

Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan and bake for 8-10 mins, depending on size, until golden brown at the edges.
Transfer cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool before decorating.

Other flavourings 
For lemon cookies, replace the vanilla with the finely grated zest of 1 lemon.
For chocolate cookies, replace 50g of the plain flour with 50g cocoa powder. Omit the vanilla!


To find out how to decorate the cookies with Royal Icing check out my Pretty Butterfly Cookies Tutorial.



Royal Icing
Traditional royal icing is made with real egg white, however, because of the slight chance of salmonella poisoning, I now prefer to use dried egg white instead.
20g (3/4 oz) dried egg white
90ml (2.5fl oz) cold water
500g (1lb 2 0z) icing sugar


method
Mix egg white and water in a bowl until smooth.
Sieve the icing sugar into a grease free bowl.
Tip in the egg mixture and beat on the slowest speed for 5 mins until the icing stands up in peaks.



2 comments:

  1. I need to figure out how to turn grams into cups.....lol! UGH! Cookies look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grams are weight and cups are volume. Could you not just weigh out the grams on a set of scales? I am a Scot living in Australia and assume you are in the US. When I convert a US recipe I use a cup to measure the ingredients into a bowl sitting on scales and note the weight of each ingredient so that next time I make the recipe I have saved all the measurements in the units I am comfortable with. I do still have one or two recipes in cup measures and they drive me mad, lol!

    ReplyDelete